Car Accidents Facts
- In 2004 there were 6.2 million accidents reported by the police.
- In 2004 2.8 million people were injured in car accidents and 42,636 were killed.
- 39 percent of fatal crashes involved alcohol. Between midnight and 3 in the morning the percentage rose to 76%.
- The time with the most fatal accidents is weekend nights between midnight and 3am.
- Every year about 14 school kid pedestrians are killed by school buses.
- The time in which most school kid pedestrian deaths occur is between 3pm and 4pm.
- Fires occurred in .1 percent of all accidents but in 3 percent of fatal accidents.
- People ages 16-20 had the highest fatality and injury rates in car accidents per 100,000 people.
- Seat belt laws exist in all 50 states.
- The national fatality rate for pedestrians is 1.58 per 100,000. New Mexico was highest at 2.94 and Nebraska lowest at .52.